Nutrition Course Module I (60 contact hours) - diploma course
This course is for everyone who wants to know what ayurvedic nutrition can mean for and in a modern western life. Going into the basics of classical ayurvedic nutrition, this course translates this ancient knowledge into whatever is needed here and now in the west. This is a unique feature of this course: modern nutrition has gone haywire and presents a lot of difficult issues. Many of these issues will be addressed in this course from a modern ayurvedic perspective.The purpose of this course is to offer an in depth training in Ayurvedic nutrition.
This course has originally been developed by Atreya Smith to train practitioners according to the Medical Association of Switzerland where he taught clinical ayurvedic nutrition to doctors and other medical practitioners. Hence, the orientation of this course is also to actually train professionals to use and become proficient in traditional nutritional medicine.
There are five written exams and one written case study required by the student. On completion a diploma of 180 study hours (60 contact hours) in Ayurvedic Clinical Studies will be awarded as ‘Ayurvedic Nutritional Advisor’. If this is your initial course in this or in the Ayurveda field we strongly advise you to continue with more studies before actually starting professional advices. In this case the course does suffice - however - to give advice to friends and family.
Nutrition Course Module I
Introduction to Ayurvedic Nutrition
• Introduction to the Ayurvedic Medical System The Modern Nutritional Situation
• Biochemical Nutrition Uses a Mechanical Model
• The Holistic Nutritional Model
The Tri-Dosha Theory (Vata, Pitta, Kapha)
• Physical Profiles
• Psychological Profiles
Digestion and Food Assimilation
When to Eat – Understanding Time
• Seasonal Foods and Diets
• Daily Rhythms of Time
• Food Quality
• Local Food
How to Eat
• Food Combinations
• Order to Eat Foods as per Individual
Nutrition for the Individual
• Individually Structured Diets with Food Lists
Ayurvedic Diagnosis – Determining Constitution
• The Five Elements and Six Tastes
Toxic Accumulation and Metabolic Imbalance in Nutrition
Effects of Dieting and Poor Nutrition
• How to Correct Digestion and Metabolism
Descriptions of Foods by Category – fruits, veggies, grains, etc.
How to Cure Disease With Nutrition (Introduction only)
• List of Diseases with Food Cures
Clinical Practice (introduction only)
• Clinical work as an Ayurvedic Nutritional Counselor
• Practical Experience and Case Studies
• Case Study
Liese van Dam Coen van der Kroon
main teacher EN course main teacher NL course
Nutrition Course Module I - Location: Holos te Utrecht (www.holos.nl)
€ 900 plus supplement of € 90 for practice days, reader & study material, diploma.
Two textbooks to be purchased:
- Dr Vasant Lad - Textbook Ayurveda Volume 1
- Robert Svoboda - Prakriti
Course book Atreya Smith will be handed out during first class and its price is already included in the € 90 supplement.
Other information Module I
- Start: 19 September 2014 (complete schedule below)
- Lessons: 9 theory lessons and 2 cookings days
- Teaching days: Thursdays
- Teaching hours: 10.00 - 16.30 (lunch break 1.30 hrs)
- 60 classroom hours - 120 self study hours
- Teacher: Liese van Dam
- Location: Holos Academie in Utrecht - www.holos.nl
18 September 2014
27 November - cooking day
15 January 2015
29 January - cooking day
9 April (reserve)
Required study & reading material Module I
- Textbook I - Dr. Vasant Lad
- Prakriti - Dr. Robert Svoboda
To register, please click here: online registration.
For more information or trouble with online registration please call: + 31 6 24 32 16 25. (please leave a message if answering machine responds)
Upon receiving your online and your registration fee of €100 (which is inclusive in the total price) on our bank account, your registration is final and your place is secured. At that moment your registration is binding.